Chris Knipp Writing: Movies, Politics, Art

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Cannes 2021: winners
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

ACTUAL CANNES AWARDS
(See my full vicarious Cannes coverage thread on Filmleaf)

AGATHE ROUSSELLE IN TITANE

Palme d’Or: TITANE (Julia Ducournau)
Grand Prix: (tie) A HERO (Asghar Farhadi) and COMPARTMENT NO. 6 (Juho Kuosmanen)
Jury Prize: (tie): AHED'S KNEE (Nadav Lapid) and MEMORIA (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
Best Actress: Renate Reinsve,THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD (Joachim Trier)
Best Actor: Caleb Landry Jones, NITRAM (Justin Kurzel)
Best Director: Leos Carax, ANNETTE
Best Screenplay: Ryusuke Hamaguchi, DRIVE MY CAR
Camera d’Or: MURINA by Antoneta Alamat Kusijanović
Short Film Palme d’Or: TIAN XIA WU by Tang Yi
Special Jury Mention for Short Film: CEU DE AGOSTO by Jasmin Tenucci
Honorary Palme d’Or: Marco Bellocchio

I guess I say "actual Cannes awards" because they seem so different from how we imagined them. The JURY GRID led us to put all focus on the top two film awards. Well, DRIVE MY CAR only got the screenplay award. And MEMORIA, which came in 2nd on the GRID, is in the third rank, the Jury Prize, and both that and the Grand Prize are doubled with another film. I am glad to see Joachim Trier's film win an award; I love his films. It's nice that at least the GRID top rankers do at least appear in the awards.

The PALME D'OR win is a shock. Not a happy shock and, on top of that, Spike Lee goofed and mentioned this award meant to come at the end, right at the start of the ceremony, thus creating chaos and ruining the evening. Boo! A BBC review of TITANE said: "Julia Ducournau's new film is "a nightmarish yet mischievously comic barrage of sex, violence, lurid lighting and pounding music". It seems unlikely that I'm going to like this, or consider it worthy of Cannes' top award. But it is described as being beautiful, well designed, clear. The Jury looks for something fresh, original, groundbreaking. This is what they found.

Julia Ducournau previously made a film called RAW that I didn't like very much. This one, with its main character a woman with a metal plate in her head who copulates with her car, goes for shocking, disgusting, and sensational again. There was a sensation when TITANE was shown at Cannes. But the jury seems to have taken that for originality, brilliance, freshness, etc. (And it costars Vincent Lindon, one of France's most respected screen actors and a Cannes Best Actor winner for THE MEASURE OF A MAN in 2015.) Ducournau now becomes only the second female winner of the Palme d’Or after Jane Campion, who won in 1993 for THE PIANO.

There are also three films at the lower end I didn't see any reviews or mentions of.

TITANE [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epoyDw8EU9I&t=101s"]TRAILER[/url]

SPIKE LEE AT CANNES AWARDS CEREMONIES. LORD OF MISRULE?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]