Chris Knipp Writing: Movies, Politics, Art

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Mike D'Angelo's tweet reviews collated by score.

Gastón Solnicki, Argentina, director of Kékszakállú

These should need no introduction by now.* I still value them despite occasional lapses. I've done this since at least 2012. He listed more then, but this may just be because he doesn't include W/Os this time.

His top five from TIFF '16:
1. Nocturama (Bonello) (74)
2. Kékszakállú (Solnicki) (72)
3. Divines (Benyamina) (69)
4. Arrival (Villeneuve)(68)
5. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (Perkins) (67)

All of them:
/Toni Erdmann/ (Ade): still 82. A different (but equally rewarding) experience this time, barely registering as a comedy at all.

Nocturama (Bonello): ? [later 74] Depends where I ultimately land on the ending, the ugliness of which I'm not sure is justified. But this is stunning.

Kékszakállú (Solnicki): 72. Often say of films that I loved everything except the narrative. This is those films with the narrative removed.

Divines (Benyamina): 69*. Richly deserving Caméra d'Or winner starts out loose and energetic, ends up horiifyingly tragic.
*Spare me.

Arrival (Villeneuve): 68. On the one hand, it labors to explain everything (even name-checks Sapir-Whorf!); on the other hand, whaaaaa?

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (Perkins): 67. Just an exercise in sustained creepiness, but often a highly effective one.

Joe Cinque's Consolation (Dounoukos): 60. Insane Australian true-crime story, meticulously staged w/ a superb central perf by Maggie Naouri.

Justin Timberlake + the Tennessee Kids (Demme): 60. Super slick 'n' corporate, but nobody beats Demme at shooting enormous bands onstage.

Souvenir (Defurne): 51. Fluffier version of THE SINGER with Huppert in the Depardieu role. Toggles between charming and sappy.

Voyage of Time (Malick): 57. Did my best to ignore the narration, concentrate on oft-stunning images. Still, 40-min IMAX is probably right.

Never Ever (Jacquot): 56. DeLillo's "The Body Artist" can't really work w/o the internal monologue, but it works better than you'd think.

The Age of Shadows (Kim): 54. Must confess I lost track of the convoluted intrigue in this K-Resistance thriller. Intermittently rousing.

The Commune (Vinterberg): 53. Not really about the commune itself, which is odd given that Vinterberg grew up in one.

The Rehearsal (Maclean): 52. Initially looks like a drama-school
version of Altman's THE COMPANY, which [thumbs-up sign]. Alas, there's a plot.

The Magnificent Seven (Fuqua): 50. "And they were…*magnificent*" the most hilarious pregnant pause since LAST FACE's "a man…and a woman."

The Net (Kim): 49. Sorry to disappoint, but it's a fishing net. CITIZEN RUTH minus the jokes, with North/South in lieu of choice/life.

Snowed In (Stone): 48. Bit perplexed by this as there's never even so much as a flurry. A lot of it takes place in Hawaii!

Pyromaniac (Skjoldbjærg): 47. These photographs / I don't want 'em / These photographs / I don't need 'em. Never quite catches...yeah.

/Yourself and Yours/ (Hong): still 46. Well, I tried. Sketchily floats ideas explored much more potently in ETERNAL SUNSHINE and Kim's TIME.

Daguerrotype (Kurosawa): 45. Not feeling his recent predilection for ponderous ghost stories. Brief attempt to replicate PULSE falls flat.

Nelly (A. Émond): 44. Really dug her last film (OUR LOVED ONES), but she has no better luck than anyone else with the great-writer biopic.

Nelly (A. Émond): 44. Really dug her last film (OUR LOVED ONES), but she has no better luck than anyone else with the great-writer biopic.

Dog Eat Dog (Schrader): 34. Mostly just unpleasant, but almost worth seeing just for Cage's sustained Bogart impression at the end.

(re)Assignment (Hill): 25. Actually think I can make a case for this as not grotesquely offensive. Not grotesquely stupid is another matter.

Toronto 2013.
Cannes 2014.
Cannes 2015.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]