Chris Knipp Writing: Movies, Politics, Art

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

D'ANGELO'S (MAY) 2015 RANKED CANNES TWITTER REVIEWS:

This year again his daily Cannes roundups/essays, "Postcards from Cannes," are on The Dissolve. I have been collating Mike D'Angelo's Cannes and Toronto tweet "reviews" for several years. This year he stopped listing "W/O's," walkouts after 40 minutes. Why I do this is obvious; he provides unique unusually thorough snapshots of the fests and though opinions differ and there are always gaps the evaluations are often very reliable and independent. I hope he does not mind my doing this.

FINAL TWEET:
That's it for me. Favorites: Sicario (Villeneuve; still can't believe it), Carol (Haynes), Mustang (Ergüven), My Golden Days (Desplechin).

Sicario (Villeneuve): 83. People are calling this conventional; it’s actually quite radical. I wrote some words. http://thedissolve.com/features/postcards-from-cannes/1034-day-6-reversals-of-fortune/

Carol (Haynes): 76 Tough race for MVP among Haynes, Blanchett, Mara, Lachman, Burwell, the Clovers, and Noel Coward (for the BRIEF ENCOUNTER homage). [CAROL summary: "Set in 1950s New York, a department-store clerk who dreams of a better life falls for an older, married woman." > Patricia Highsmith's 1952 novel The Price of Salt.

Mustang (Ergüven): 70. At first I was all Why are these 5sisters behaving like a single organism? Then I was all Ohhh. Ending wrecked me.

My Golden Years (Trois souvenirs de ma jeunesse) (Desplechin): 69. [See D'Anglo's comments on The Dissolve.] "Kinda loved the Desplechin."

Green Room (Saulnier): 67. Boasts all the virtues folks claimed for BLUE ROOM [BLUE RUIN] without the accompanying idiocy. Good gory fun.

Rams (Hákonarson): 66. Easily the best movie about feuding Icelandic sheep farmers I have ever seen ever. Funniest sight gag of the fest.

Inside Out (Docter): 66. Some of the shtick gets a tad cute for my taste, but if we must have messages in cartoons, more like this please.

The Lobster (Lanthimos): 65. Struggling to find as much real-world resonance as I’d like, but this is much more DOGTOOTH than it is ALPS.

Yakuza Apocalypse (Miike): 64. Takes its time getting revved up, then hits GOZU levels of batshit insanity. Enjoy it in M. Madness, TIFFers.

Youth (Sorrentino): 63. Superb for as long as it keeps its touch light: then it starts straining for effect, and the spell is broken.

Son of Saul (Nemes): 61. Imagine if SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, the greatest movie ever made, had been about Hanks trying to save one mother’s son.

The Measure of a Man (Brizé): 60. Ambitiously attempts to do TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT with a passive protag. Stacks the deck, but still potent.

Umimachi Diary (Kore-eda): 60. Extremely sentimental, even for him; needed more bite to offset the treacle. So many lovely moments, though.

Cemetery of Splendour (Joe): 58. More readily parsed and less visually ravishing than his best films. Mysterious on the surface level only. [Apichatpong Weerasethakul]

Irrational Man (Allen): 58. My favorite of the plots he recycles; shaky execution, but great fun as pure story once it kicks in. A+ Winston

Louder Than Bombs (Trier): 58. Loved the kaleidoscopic structure and disregard for tying up loose ends. Actual content less enthralling.

Trap (Mendoza): 52. Here’s an environment. Do you like my environment? Immerse yourself in the environment I offer you. That is all.

Mon roi (Maïwenn): 51. As in many dysfunctional-relationship films, the uphill part is a lot of fun, the downhill part a total drag.
Also Louis Garrel should exclusively play the funny best friend (+brother, here) for the rest of his career. He’s actually not bad at that.

One Floor Below (Muntean): 55. This felt less like Muntean to me than like CRISTI PUIU’S REAR WINDOW. Better that than Puiu’s actual films.

The Wakhan Front (Cogitore): 55. Intriguing, but never quite becomes anything more than that. Didn't need answers, exactly, but something.

The Assassin [Hou Hsiao-hsien] : 54. As usual w/Hou, I'd rather have spent 15 mins leafing thru a picture book of stills from this (stunningly gorgeous) film.

Valley of Love (Nicloux): 53. Has anyone observed that this is basically the same film as THE WAKHAN FRONT, despite no surface similarities?

Dheepan (Audiard): 50. What everyone else said about the ending that seems like it wandered in from a bad Bruce Willis movie. Damaging.

Tale of Tales (Garrone): 49. Liked one tale out of three. I think. It's hard to be sure given how poorly and pointlessly they're intercut.

Macbeth (Kurzel): 49. Maybe my love for Polanski's version (which I recently rewatched) is getting in the way? Seemed meatheaded to me.

Mountains May Depart [Jia Zhang-ke]: 47. Film Comment calls it "You had me at 'Jia Zhang-ke.'"

The Treasure (Porumboiu): 48. Like ADJECTIVE, a slow, l argely monotonous build to a final-scene "punchline." Not a mode I much enjoy.*

Chronic [Michel Franco]: 46. Or AMOUR 2: PLATONIC BOOGALOO. There’s a germ of a strong idea here, but it’s mired in pointless backstory, dumb provocation.

Love (Noé): 45. Might have worked had he been able to get Cassel, Bellucci and (say) Demoustier to do it. Even then, they’d have to improv.

In the Shadow of Women (Garrel): 44. Second film in a row where he treats infidelity as if it’s uncharted territory, unearths nothing new.

Marguerite & Julien (Donzelli): 44. Employs random gimmicks—anachronisms, frozen tableaux, &c.—to disguise its nonexistent point of view.

My Mother (Mia madre/Moretti) 41 "Meh."

The Sea of Trees (Van Sant): 37. Should be lower, but it’s so dumb that it’s kind of perversely touching. A “serious” Robin Williams film. He added this tweet: Oh, SEA OF TREES probably *is* more akin to a Nicholas Sparks flick, isn’t it? I didn’t think of that because I’ve only seen THE NOTEBOOK.

Journey to the Shore (Kurosawa): 22. The Sea of Trite. [Un Certain Regard.]

I'm running behind today, but briefly: walked out of Korean thriller THE SHAMELESS last night; meh on Moretti; kinda loved the Desplechin.

[CAROL] I guess I should throw Highsmith in there too, huh? (Oh, and for the ratings hounds: 76. Desplechin: 69. Moretti: 41.)

*Those who loved POLICE, ADJECTIVE should get excited about Porumboiu's THE TREASURE. Those who did not, however, should not.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]