Chris Knipp Writing: Movies, Politics, Art

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

preview - full review in June

The passion, pain, and beauty of Nina Simone

Liz Garbus, who made a film about Marilyn Monroe and whose Bobby Fischer Against the World came out in 2011, has now produced a powerful, indispensable film about another deeply troubled genius, the titanic singer and pianist Nina Simone. I remember first hearing her on the radio when she was not yet famous. For a young person excited by jazz and all kinds of unusual music, it was impossible not to be impressed. It was immediately clear that here was someone special. I'd never even imagined a pianist -- jazz, soul, classical, all of those and more -- who sang and improvised as she played. Her voice was as unique and as strong as the playing, her rhythmic drive was powerful, the timbre of her voice, raucous and deep, instantly recognizable. The sureness of it grabbed you and held you. This film tells her story, and it's a moving one that brought tears to my eyes every time one of her performances came on screen, and that was often; and fortunately, Garbus lets the songs play through. ​I used to think certain songs were her anthems -- "I loves you, Porgy," "Mississippi Goddam," "To By Young, Gifted, and Black," "Love Me or Leave Me," "Take Me to the Water," "My Baby Just Cares for Me" (which became a famous ad for Chanel No. 5). But now I realize she made every song she sang an anthem -- without by any means ever making them sound alike. She was simply one of the great performers of our time. This is a powerful film about her, not the last word surely, but still not to be missed.

What Happened, Miss Simone?, 100 mins., debuted at Sundance January 2015, also at the Berlinale; and has played at some other US fests including San Francisco in late April. It will open theatrically 24 June 2015 and also play on Netflix, which is releasing it.​

Nine Simone complete discography

Her stunning 1958 first album, Little Girl Blue (Bethlehem)

Good Daily Beast piece on the film.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]